25 Apr 2014

Red Velvet Cake

For some time now I have been trying to find interesting recipes to add to my repertoire of delicious foods. One of them is the Red Velvet cake. I have seen it being made for wedding cakes, birthday cakes and other special occasions.

As usual, I don't cook food or make desserts just for fun (well, ok, sometimes i do!). I always try to have a reason to create something. Most often it is meant for larger groups to enjoy like events at my kid's day care center, events at home like birthday parties and events at work.


Recently my husband needed to take a cake to work and my inner "Barney" (character from the series How I met your mother) popped up and replied: "Challenge accepted!" Red Velvet, here I come!

I had a little search online and quickly realized this ain't an easy recipe. Perhaps the ingredients aren't anything too special but there is a precise process there which takes the level of difficulty up a notch.

The one recipe that worked for me came in the form of a video from Joy of Backing (see video and recipe here). The best part of this was that the instructions were clear, the ingredient dosages were also given in grams and dl and, most importantly, there is that video there to show you "how to". Marvelous!!



I followed the steps and the result of the cake can be seen here in pictures:

First I made the two sponges, which will later form the four layers of the cake. Make sure you oil the bottom and place parchment paper so your cake can be removed easier.



Among the ingredients were flour, eggs, cacao powder, butter and a touch of red food color.

One of the important aspects of the recipe is the chilling of the sponge in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour. It helps cut the layers later as the cake is meant to be quite moist and is not easy to cut if not chilled.

Making the buttercream was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy. It is better to have the ingredients at room temperature though because the cream cheese needs to be a bit soft. Having said that the whipped cream needs to be added cold!

Placing the buttercream on the chilled cake layers makes it easier.





Cover the top and sides of the cake and decorate to your taste
Your Red Velvet is ready to be placed in the fridge or served straight away.

Now, I just need a bit of feedback since I was not able to taste it :o
I hope people enjoyed it.

If you were amongst those who ate some of this cake, go on, be a good sport and give me some feedback ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment